Turning Ideas into Reality

Blog Post

patron de relleno

What type of filling do I use?

What is the filling of a piece?

At the time of printing a piece we ask that question of what type of filling I have to put and how much percentage I have to add so that you have no problems while printing and acquire those features that I want.

In this article, we will guide you a bit how to make that decision to get the desired finish by explaining the properties of the fillings that would give our piece.

The first thing to know is that there are many types of filler used in printers, but we will focus on 4 types, the most used by users and have given good results.

Here is a description of the fill and the properties that give the piece:


Perhaps it is the “default” padding that we will use in our object prints, because it is the one that gives the most resistance to a piece and the one that extends the most when it is printed.

The percentage varies according to the size of the piece and the resistance we want to give it, to more percentage, more consistency and resistance will have (the piece will become a solid block because the hexagons are joined).


This filling is used to make our piece have some material inside and help the printing without using many supports. This filling provides a very low resistance to our piece, mainly the final strength will determine the amount of turns that the wall of the piece.

This filling provides a property to the piece that can make it to a certain extent flexible, but do not forget that already in itself, it is weak.

[Rule style = “rule-dotted”]


Another of the fillers that many users use “by default” for their objects, since it usually comes predefined in most 3D printing programs and non-experienced users do not usually change.

This filler provides an acceptable piece resistance, it is perhaps not the best to give resistance to our piece, but a minimum will obtain.

[Rule style = “rule-dotted”]


This filler offers a lot of resistance and withstands very high loads on parts with lateral end orientation. Mainly this filler is used in the construction of some type type bridge or beams to support load.